Chef Mary Ann from Gigi’s Cucina Povera was in the kitchen this morning with a fresh recipe that utilizes delicious fall vegetables. Check out the recipe for Spaghetti Squash below. For more information on Gigis visit www.gigiscucinapovera.com
– 1 spaghetti squash
– 1 cup of toasted walnuts
– 3 heirloom tomatoes
– 1 red onion
– 2 cloves of garlic
– 1/2 cup of olive oil
– 1 bunch of basil
– sliced fresh mozzarella cheese
– Begin by cutting the squash in half, length wise. Place it on a baking sheet with a few tablespoons of water. Place it in a 350 degree oven for about 30 to 40 minutes.
– Once the squash is cooked, remove it from the oven and let cool. Use a form to shred the squash. It should look like thin spaghetti strands
-Slice the red onion, chop the garlic and dice the tomatoes. Saute the red onions in olive oil over medium high heat. Once the onions are translucent, add the garlic and tomatoes. Cook together for about 3 minutes
– Take the shredded spaghetti squash and place it in another skillet with olive oil. Let the squash saute for about 5 minutes and add chopped fresh basil
– Plate the squash and pour over the chunky tomato sauce. Garnish with more fresh basil and fresh mozzarella cheese. Enjoy!